Thursday, June 24, 2010

Friend or Foe?


Tonight as I was watering my tomato plants I spotted this guy stuck on a plant...

Because my bug knowledge skills are simply minute I decided to remove it from my plant but resist the urge to smash it on the spot. I went inside and found a nice glass jar for its safe keeping until I could properly identify it. For those of you that are knowledgeable on your garden pests know that this is the tomato hornworm. It's crazy because you can actually see the horn on the body. These are definite pests and can do some serious damage to tomatoes and peppers. I'm starting to wonder if there might be more and they are the culprits behind my near wipeout of pepper plants??? Check out this link for more info on them: http://vegipm.tamu.edu/chewing4/tomatohornworm.html

I also managed to find another bug tonight....
It, however, it quite pretty and will not be doing any damage to my plants because I found it dead. :(

Tonight was simply a beautiful evening. Although Mom and I both fell asleep upon finding the couches when getting home from work, we both decided we must take advantage of the rather cool (80s) temperatures.

Go Mom! Pick those cherries.

What a beautiful evening for discovering creation!

2 comments:

  1. that green bug is so.... I don't know... almost fairy tale or children's book looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! It looked so cool that's why I was a little hesitant to just squash it. Right now it remains lifeless in the jar I put it in on my desk.

    ReplyDelete