Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Time to move on...

It's hard to believe that exactly one month ago I left home for an adventure of a lifetime. Little did I know that the majority of that time, three weeks, would be spent in Columbiaville, Michigan on Three Roods Farm. When I left home I thought that I would spend time on two different farms and actually my initial thoughts were two different farms not even including 3RF. But once again God had another plan and his plans are perfect so when I did not hear back from the other farms in a timely manner I made alternative arrangements. These included my first WWOOF stop at 3RF and it has been an amazing experience. As great as it has been though, it is time to move on, to experience another leg of my discovering creation journey. Tomorrow I shall pack up my belongings and carefully stash my farm goods for takeaway: honey, delicata squash seeds, garlic, sunroots, and fresh apple cider. I shall take a few more pictures of the beautiful fall colors in the trees and give my new friends a farewell hug.

The past week or so has been a busy one and I must let you in on the secrets I have uncovered:
  • My father has spoiled me with his ample use of chainsaws. Last week Julie and I spent some time removing invasive Autumn Olive trees using a hand saw and hand clippers. Needless to say it was a bit difficult and definitely gave me a workout I was not used to.
  • Fresh apple cider is so amazing! Another workout was encountered as we hand cranked a 150 year old apple press using 4.5 bushels of apples and making 9 gallons of cider. Add a little rum or butterscotch schnaps and even more yumminess is created. Don't drink too much in one day or the bathroom will be your best friend.
  • I learned much, contemplated the earth much, and had some great conversations with others at the Great Lakes Bioneers Detroit Conference this past weekend. I had the opportunity to attend as an intern with the Strawbale Studio and Natural Buildings Project, http://www.strawbalestudio.org/, as Julie and I have been spending some time there doing some work. We got to serve as information givers and directed youth and adults in creating sustainable ecovillages out of cob and natural landscape materials. Our earth oven was a huge hit and attracted many people with the fire we created in it and the chocolate muffins that were baked in it.
  • Only 1% of consumer products purchased today will still be in use 6 months from now. Isn't that ridiculous? We are a society addicted to stuff. Too many people find their identity in possessions and think that having more things will bring happiness. Wrong. Check out the story of stuff on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8
I'm off to Indianapolis tomorrow to meet Tara at the National FFA Convention. I'm excited to see my sister and hang out with some FFA members for a day or two. Maybe I'll try having some conversations about where agriculture can possibly go in the future in a sustainable manner. Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment