Sunday, October 16, 2011

Green Apple


This past week I took the time to do some apple foraging. I plucked the few remaining apples off the tree of a kind family near Junction City, KS. These people own a house that is host to several giant old apple trees. They are in desperate need of pruning and in years past have produced a plethora of apples for use. This year, however, was a bad year for growing a lot of things in Kansas and there were hardly any apples on the trees. I ended up with about 7 pounds of good apples slices after discarding the bad parts. They were nice and tart green apples. My original idea was to make apple pie filling with my apples, but I also realized the difficulty of finding Clearjel that is necessary for canning apple pie filling. I decided to can the plain apple slices instead and will then later obtain such thickeners for apple pie filling. Yummy!


1 comment:

  1. What recipe did you use? I was thinking about canning some filling, but ran into the same Clear-jel problem!

    ReplyDelete