Sunday, September 27, 2009

U Pick It


"Driving down the road. Haulin quite a load. Seeing things I really want to see." Expect nobody is saying, "Are we there yet?" Because the drive is amazing and there are so many things to do along the way.

(Only if you were in my 8th grade choir class will you truly appreciate or understand that little song.)

The drive from Chicago to Kalamazoo, MI along lake Michigan and I-94 is a trip of much to see. Upon entering the state of Michigan every other billboard is NOT an adult superstore advertisement, but an advertisement for farm stands, produce markets, wineries, and u-pick it operations. Needless to say, I managed to stop at one, conveniently located 8 miles off the interstate at a 5th generation farm and orchard to take part in my very own U-pick it experience. Let's just say those Gala apples are darn good. The family farm is on 800 acres of land with several different fruit operations going on including apples, peaches, cherries, grapes. It was a really great experience and the store is located in this giant red barn constructed with wooden pegs. I got back on interstate to stop a few more miles down the road, this time draw away from the road by the Chocolate Garden. An amazing truffle operation right beside another orchard u-pick it, a winery, and local produce stand. I think I like this state, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment