Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yummy bean burgers!

I've been searching for about the past year for a homemade vegetarian burger recipe. I've made numerous versions, some with loads of veggies, some with loads of grains, some with loads of beans and most of them have tasted pretty good, but just have not been the ideal burger. They either fall apart in the pan upon cooking, or even if a simple broil action works they mush out the side of my bread when I try to eat them. It's might seem silly, why don't I just stick with the premade veggie burgers from the store? Because they are ridiculously expensive. I've actually never bought them, but my parents purchased a few boxes for around $5 a box for 4 itty bitty burgers. Of course my economical sense can tell me that making my own is much cheaper and I can avoid those pre-made sodium burgers. Really. So...I've finally found a keeper.
Recipe found at Eating Well : Bean Burgers with Spicy Guacamole
As you can tell I definitely went with the guacamole on top with super fresh tomatoes right out of the garden. Add a few slices of pepper jack cheese and it was so great, no other condiments needed. I used a combination of pinto beans and red kidney beans because that it what I happened to have. I think next time I'm going to try them with black beans for my attempt at the Morning Star black bean burgers. My parents and my aunt loved them, my sister on the other hand....still not so sure about this vegetarian business. Too bad for her. Go ahead, give them a try.

1 comment: