Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Refreshing Purple Basil Limeade

It's not even summer yet it has felt like summer for quite some time. Maybe it's the fact that wheat harvest here in Kansas started in May?! Or perhaps it's the fact that in the past two weeks I've picked blueberries, cherries, plums and peaches! Or maybe it's just the fact that it's been hot! Nonetheless, I was inspired to try a refreshing summer beverage by the very plant tag of the purple basil that I recently planted. 



The purple basil lemonade recipe instructs one to use a mortar and pestle to create a paste with the purple basil and sugar. I decided to make a tea out of purple basil and lemon thyme by pouring boiling water over my harvested leaves. The water was nice and purple! 


I then drained out the solids and to the purple basil water I added honey and fresh squeezed lime juice. This was then diluted with cold water and poured over ice for a very refreshing treat. The proportions here can be made to taste. I decided that I wanted more of a basil flavor so I ended up pureeing some of the basil tea and straining that liquid to add. 


My approximate measurements:
1/2 cup purple basil leaves
1/4 cup lemon thyme leaves
4 cups water
4 juicy limes, juiced
2 Tablespoons raw honey
Ice!

1 comment: