- 1/2 cup dry black beans, properly soaked and cooked
- 1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans, properly soaked and cooked
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large avocado, sliced into chunks
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes, I rehydrated them in the following vinegar for about an hour before adding
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped roasted chili peppers, these I had in the freezer
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
I was following somewhat of recipe that I found in a magazine but then altered it drastically to reflect the ingredients that I had on hand. If I was making this during the summer I would obviously use fresh tomatoes, but in the wintertime I refuse to purchase disgusting hothouse tomatoes from the store so instead I used some dried tomatoes that I dehydrated this summer. They added a nice flavor when they re-hydrated a bit in the vinegar. If you don't have roasted chili peppers, a nice fresh jalepeno would be good as well during the growing season.
Make sure to put this salad or dip to eat with tortilla chips together at least 3 hours before you plan to enjoy it. At it sits the flavors meld and create a very tasty salad or dip. It's even better the next day!