Thursday, December 31, 2009

Always

Be joyful always; pray continuously; give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.    I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Today this popped up on my google desktop verse of the day. I remember when I was a college student studying the book of I Thess in Bible study, this was my theme verse. I think that it was my favorite from the book simply because it's so simple and good, yet difficult to really follow. I'm excited that it popped up today to be my reminder for this new year to come. I'm thinking about making it my theme for the new year.

It's easy to be joyful when life is going good, but being joyful even when things are crappy and not going as planned. Well this is when we must find joy not in our circumstances but in the only lasting joy we can find in Christ. Today, I was very thankful that I am not gluten intolerant. I made a gluten free cake for the wedding party goers that will not be able to enjoy my favorite chocolate cake because their bodies reject the goodness of gluten. So sad, but another moment for me to realize my simple blessings. That was an easy thanksgiving, but am I thankful when I still have no clue what I'm doing with my life and living with my parents? Not always.

Pray continuously. This command I struggle with the most. It doesn't have to be complicated; all I must do is acknowledge the presence of God with me at all moments and have a conversation. A simple conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment