Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!


Local everything: raw milk cheddar, free range eggs,
freshly harvested beet greens, spinach,  & epic sourdough!

This is how I start my Earth Day celebration! Actually I didn't even realize that it was earth day until I was reminded by my fabulous neighbor as I ventured over to bake an amazing loaf of bread in the wood fired oven. I am so thankful for this beauty of a earth that I get to inhabit and the beauty of people that we are put on this earth to commune with. Praise the Lord for His many blessings!

I have been without a levain, aka sourdough starter, for quite some time now after mine died last summer when my fridge crapped out on me while away for a week. With that being said, yesterday I managed to steal a bit of levain from the master of all great bread in Manhattan and was able to get together a loaf to bake this morning. I am definitely a little rusty on my skills since I honestly haven't made any artisan bread in over 6 months. I haven't really even eaten any great artisan bread in over 4 months. For a while I was attempting a gluten free diet but I have officially decided that artisan bread is way too amazing for me to go without. So crusty bread thank you for returning to my life!


Going into the magical oven!

This is the real deal folks!
Not too shabby, but certainly not ideal looking.







Hope you can enjoy this Earth Day 2012 and take in as many close encounters with the ground that we walk on in a special way today. Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. 

2 comments:

  1. Where is the wood fired oven? Wonderful!! I eyed the beet greens last time I was at the grocery store, but thought I'd better wait til I have a definite recipe in mind. Love them!! csl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right over the creek from me on Vine Street. It matches their yellow stucco historic home. Beet greens are so versatile. I simply saute mine with onion, garlic, spices and devour. Or put them in soup or mix in with salad.

      Delete