Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just trying to stay alive

I spent the evening attempting to fill the cracks in my garden soil with water. I have this amazing giant patch of corn out there that I think may be one of the few things that will produce anything. I must keep it alive through this wretched heat and the only way to do that is to drown it with water. Like everybody else on this continent of North America we are experiencing excessive heat. It feels like the umpteenth day of 100 degree weather and it doesn't look to be letting up soon. My tomato plants are still alive although the majority of them are bare of tomatoes. I've learned that without cooler night time temperatures, the flowers simply will not set tomatoes. That would be the reason for my large plants with zero tomatoes on them. I'm still holding out that if I can keep them alive they will produce something once it cools down a bit. September perhaps?

After a long day yesterday judging baked goods at the Riley County Fair for 6.5 hours I decided today was going to be a sugar fast. My dinner consisted of vegetables.

Sauteed red potatoes and cauliflower with onions, garlic,
cumin seed, mustard seed, celery seed, and curry powder!

2 comments:

  1. Granted potatoes are starchy, but they are such a comfort food any way you can get them, even cold. csl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had that problem last year with our field tomatoes [too many night of high temps to prevent fruit set] and they seemed stunted for the rest of the season...not to put a damper on your high hopes. Didn't get any tomatoes from them; but it could have also been from our various fungal problems, too. Regardless, good luck!

    ReplyDelete