Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yummy Yogurt!

I finally dragged the yogurt maker out of the basement, dusted it off, and put it to use! It was super easy to use and produced great results! I may be hooked.

The necessary tools: 
  • Handy dandy yogurt maker
  • Fresh local milk (Hildebrand is the best brand!)
  • Starter culture; I used the end of my store-bought yogurt, just make sure it has active cultures
  • I also added non-fat dry milk to thicken the non-fat milk that I used


I heated one quart of milk for this batch just until boiling with 1/3 cup of NFDM. It was then cooled down until the handy thermometer that came with the yogurt maker registered add starter. I'm sure there are more precise temperatures to follow, but this thing did all that work.

Put 2 large tablespoons of yogurt starter in one of the glass jars. Add warm milk and stir until smooth.

Combine all the milk and starter culture and pour into lovely glass jars.

Place in convenient yogurt maker, cover, and leave overnight or for 10 hours.

Tada! Finished yogurt after 10 hours in the machine and a day in the fridge. Yummy and delightful!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, was that Mom's yogurt maker? Nice to see it out of the basement. Hey, best pie I've had in a long time,,,,add one 6 oz container any light fruit yogurt to 1 8 oz container fat free cool whip. Mix together and put in a graham cracker pic shell. Chill for a couple of hours. Can add any fruit to top when serving. Reallly good!! csl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Homemade yogurt. Amanda, you never cease to amaze me. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Sorry I've been a horrible blog commenter lately...

    ReplyDelete