Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Growing Together

This past weekend I was able to take another road-trip. This one was different though because I didn't plan it nor did I drive on this road-trip. Let's just say it's been a long time since I traveled in the back seat of a mini van the entire trip. Our trip also went to a place I've never been before. This trip took me to the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. I've been to several places in OK, driven through the state from top to bottom, been to couple of lakes for family gatherings, but never have I traveled to Leedey, OK. The town population is around 400. That would mean the 46 ladies at the BIC regional women's retreat that entered the town increased the population by 10%. I must be honest I had a few fears attending the retreat. 

Fear #1: Cheesy Christian Event - This one definitely came true. Complete with a polka band style hymn worship experience, fill in the blank methods to becoming a Godly woman, and feel good happy discussions had by all.

Fear #2: Event involving a large portion of elderly ladies- This came true as well. I must say there were some very adorable older ladies there that really made me smile. I think it would have been better if we would have just sat around and shared stories though. I'm sure they had some really great life stories and lessons for me to learn.  Next time.

I must say the best part of the trip and the part that made the weekend worth it was definitely the road-trip with four other amazing women. We comprised the mini-van of younger women from our church and I feel like our conversations and time spent together were well worth the 5 1/2 hour drive to and from. These are the women that keep me here in Dickinson County Kansas. These are the ladies that I tell my secrets to, that laugh with me and my ability to be a girl, and deal with my food critiques. Thank God for them in my life to keep me sane and help me process through so much.

Oh Fear #3: Food being served that I may never normally consume. Right on. It was a little iffy and definitely went well with the entire nursing home atmosphere of the weekend. Once again, learning to be polite and deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment