Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'll take two

Another great day in the baking laboratory at Kansas State University. It was a great day for a number of reasons: 
  • We have confirmed a pallet, 70 cases, of semi-sweet chocolate chips shall be delivered next Tuesday. That's a lot. I'm excited even if they are recently expired.
  • We now have about 4- 5 gallon buckets of peanut butter in the lab. Can we say monster cookie goodness soon to be rolling out?
  • Hot, fresh oatmeal for lunch and not so fresh afternoon snack time. 1st go around with applesauce, raisins, dried cranberries, and nuts. 2nd go around with bananas, almond butter and nuts.
  • Nobody got hurt today. This includes our bat friend that I babysat all day on the wall in the adjoining, non food prep area, lab where my desk sits. 
  • Everybody completed their cleaning assignments and a few others.
  • I chatted with my beloved Kelsey Ann online while she was at work. Check out KAF instant chat hotline. Live help.
  • I brought home a ton of compost consisting mostly of banana peels and nasty white pan bread.
  • I also came home with these amazing loaves of bread..........
We haven't come up with an official name for this beauty. I say we, Dave, made quite possibly an even greater bread than Mountain Bread. Close, I'm not sure who wins. But this beauty has 11 grains, 1 seed, and 1 nut in it. We're thinking about calling it colon blow? But just to inform you of all its content:
  • Wheat
  • Buckwheat
  • Barley
  • Rye
  • Triticale
  • Millet
  • Corn
  • Soy
  • Flax
  • Oat
  • Brown Rice
  • Poppy Seed
  • Granulated Almonds
Bet you didn't even know some of those were grains did ya? This is a naturally leavened bread, aka sourdough type, containing all those quality ingredients. It has no added fat and only a minute amount of sugar in the form of honey to counteract some of the bitterness that might come from all those whole grains. So good. So good. So good.

2 comments:

  1. Colon Blow has a nice ring to it. I can see that becoming very popular. Better than Mountain Bread? That's a bold statement. How did the bat situation turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bat situation, well I left it hanging. haha. That would be a Dave responsibility.

    Ok, so no colon blow. What can we really call it?

    ReplyDelete