Sunday, January 16, 2011

diversity

Today I made a fabulous discovery. We have another chicken laying! I found the most beautiful giant pale green/olive egg. It really did make my day. I'm trying to figure out these chickens. When chickens first start laying their eggs are usually much smaller, so the fact that this egg is big tells me that maybe this chicken was laying before we got her and has been holding out on us. We got these five chickens at an auction so we had no idea how old they were. When chickens are moved they experience stress and usually don't start laying for a bit after they acquaint themselves in their new surrounding. Well I'm thinking that it's taken about four months for this to happen. Jerks. We now have three out of the six chickens laying. I was just starting to really doubt those hens, until I saw the beautiful egg....

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of your green/olive egg. I got some fresh eggs from a co-worker yesterday, but I didn't not get any green ones. Maybe I'll get my own chickens. Seems like everybody's doing it these days...

    ReplyDelete