Sunday, January 30, 2011

Home on the Range

In honor of my home state of Kansas birthday, I participated in the singing of "Home on the Range" many times last week. As the state song, Home on the Range, describes much of the way of life for Kansans long ago. As I sang it with the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade music students in Chapman, I began to actually think about the words for a moment.

"O give me a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day." It was most interesting to discuss what that means to seldom hear a discouraging word. One student thought that might be we don't put others down with our words. Brilliant! That's just it. There are several other verses in the song that speak of not giving up the plains and open prairies for the city lights. Of marveling at the stars and the clear air. These are the things that I so often resonate with. I do love this home on the range and it really has changed a lot since it was first discovered and written about.

Today I have been struggling through my attitude towards this earthly place I inhabit and my anticipation of eternity. As much as I love this earthly home I must never become comfortable and forget that it is so very temporary. I must keep my eyes on the prize, the inheritance we are to receive as we live and follow Christ.

I Peter 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you

Rejoicing in the beauty of this temporary home on the range and looking forward to the far greater inheritance in Christ - Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Amen!

    It is so easy to forget this is just a temporary place to live. And to think, it will be but a blink of an eye once we are in heaven for all of eternity.
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete