Sunday, January 23, 2011

Encouragement

I've been thinking about blogging for most of the afternoon now. Pondering about what to write about as there is much on my mind. My typical blog posts have something to do with what I've accomplished or done in a day and although this is great, today I have felt the need to write about not accomplishments but to express some of the thoughts going on in my mind. This blog is definitely a means of expressing myself, yet rarely do I take the time to just detail the thoughts behind why I live this life.

This afternoon I was blessed to receive a piece of mail. This may seem trivial, but actually receiving a hand written message from a friend has amazing healing and encouraging powers. Do you know what I'm talking about? If not, then maybe you just don't have as awesome friends as I do, sorry. (If that is the case, give me your address, I would love to send you some mail!)

Today I received a letter written on the back of a kids worksheet you would get at a restaurant. So fun! My 24 year old friend can successfully count to 60, complete a dinosaur crossword, and help the dino go the party on the second try. I'm proud. She also has an amazing gift of writing and loving people like Jesus. As I write this I am reminded of Hebrews 10:23-25. 

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in he habit of doing, but let us encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching. 

I am so very encouraged by her work at the Catholic Worker in LA, and I want to share the words she writes. Although it definitely took a couple of passes over her handwriting to comprehend her words, I am definitely encouraged by her life from so far away.

She writes: "My two favorite things about the Hippie Kitchen is all the people I get to meet (this is coming from an introvert!) and the fact that I get to share my music with them. I mean some days are hard; some times it's hard to be always a servant, always smiling and compassionate towards the homeless, as well as my fellow community members, but I can't imagine another way. I can't imagine my life in any other context than serving the poor, living in community, and living out the radical gospel of Jesus Christ."

Enough said. Imagine if more of us were able to grasp that the gospel of Jesus is definitely radical, pushing boundaries and comfort zones. Obviously all our lives look different and because we are a part of the body of Christ we can rejoice with each other in suffering for the Gospel. I am thoroughly encouraged, inspired, and challenged by my friends life and hope and pray that we can learn from each other, encourage one another, and never be comfortable with status quo.

Thanks Alecia. Hope you don't mind my sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment