Sunday, August 7, 2011

10K success

I almost forgot!

Saturday I finished my very first 10K race in Manhattan. I survived and I think it went pretty well. My thought going in was to try and make it the entire way without walking. I started in the back of the pack and realized quickly that several people are in the run and walk stage of racing. I would pass someone walking and then they would run past me and we'd go back and forth. I kept thinking, don't you know, slow and steady wins the race? Anyway, I forced myself to keep running until I hit halfway up the large hill on Anderson Ave. I ended up walking about 100 meters up the top of the hill and then continued to the finish. I finished in just under 72 minutes. Not too bad for my first 10K. That's actually the farthest I've ever run. Yah!

The race was the Brew to Shoe Road Race, which started at Tallgrass Brewery and ended at Manhattan Running Company. After the race there was beer and pizza. I ended up waiting in line for a massage and then missed out on the free pizza. Sad day for me, but the massage was definitely worth it. Write this down, I actually enjoyed the light summer Tallgrass wheat beer!

On to continued training for my half marathon, September 25th in Salina!

2 comments:

  1. WTG Sunshine. Hey, you could train for a 3 day 60 mile with the Breast Cancer groups. :)) It's all walking, no running. My classmate Sherry's daughter Kim is just now returning from the 3-day in Chicago. She has participated in California, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and now Chicago, plus other smaller events. Karissa (next door) is going to participate in the local one,,,not sure how far it is. csl

    ReplyDelete