Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Copain

I decided on a name for the artisan bread bakery that I have in my imagination. I found it in a comment list on a blog that I read frequently. A nice person from France had commented on the situation that made her think of the French word copain. Copain means friend, buddy, or pal in French and taken apart the two root words indicate breaking bread with friends.  Co (with) and pain (bread). That's it! Copain is the name of the bakery I have where quality artisan crusty bread is produced, similar to what would be found in France. This bread would be enjoyed with many copains (friends) in an atmosphere of comfort, sharing life with one another.

Check out this media link for a correct pronunciation.


5 comments:

  1. I would come hang out at your bakery all day long...can we have a coffeeshop attached to it with comfy couches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sister, coffee and comfy couches are a definite must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put copain in google translate and it says "boyfriend". I'd have to get a french dictionary to veryify that as I think they sometimes could do a better job of translating. AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet name Amanda. Can I be employed by your bakery someday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, pain is definitely French for bread, but french for "with" is avec. Copain translates as boyfriend or buddy, but Co Pain translates as Bread Co. Co translates as Co, so not sure how they use it.

    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete