Saturday, March 5, 2011

Green!


Today I noticed these beauties while in Manhattan. Spring is coming!
Baby tomato life!
Just can't get over how cute my cabbage look with their big boy leaves.
My new green recycled appointment book! It literally is green.

Super fun "green" tips. We'll feature this one today since it is NNM.
On second thought I want to clarify a few things about the above picture. Although I do practice a mostly vegetarian, flexitarian, diet I do not want to sound as if I am completely against the agricultural meat industry. I do believe that the current production of cattle, swine, poultry, etc. in giant confined operating facilities do produce enormous amounts of methane and the above statement would be correct. It is a fact of life, cows produce methane; but if produced in their intended environment this methane would not be an issue. Their intended environment is a pasture where they are allowed to eat grass and their byproducts are a very intricate part of the life around them. In general, filling up on fruits and vegetables is a "greener" alternative. However, in certain situations even this is not better. Take for example, my neighbor that raises beef cattle on the pasture, processes it locally, and dines on it daily. The fruits and veggies that he buys in the grocery today come from California or South America because it is winter in Kansas and therefore they travel several thousands of miles to be on his plate. In this situation eating the beef is definitely the greener alternative.

Do I make myself clear? Let me know if I need to clarify.

Additionally, if Americans ate more fruits and vegetables and less meat on a daily basis, we would be healthier people resulting in less medical costs overall. I think that's a pretty "green" idea. Now if more Americans grew their own fruits and vegetables, we could reduce the amount of methane and the amount of oil burned in transportation thus making it "GREEN!"

1 comment:

  1. In other words, "Buy Local". Right? :))

    Still arguing with grocery store about fish products for overseas. :((

    AC

    ReplyDelete