Sunday, March 27, 2011

White

In honor of the white snow that is presently falling outside on this 27th day of March, I will address the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables of the color white. Wait, is white a color or is white an absence of color? I have definitely forgotten that science lesson.

White fruits and veggies include: cauliflower, onions, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, and bananas. This white contains anthoxanthins which may help to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart disease risk. Bananas and potatoes are also especially good sources of potassium. Potassium is the third most abundant mineral in the human body and essential for many processes. It is vital in keeping heart, brain, kidney, muscle, and other major organs properly functioning.

Speaking of turnips I have a bag full of them that I need to cook. I definitely found some nice sized turnips out there in my garden that I overwintered. Due to the freezing and thawing we've been having recently they were all about half out of the ground and demanded my pulling. Although I don't really use turnips very often I went ahead and planted a bunch more because I have the seed hanging out. Stay tuned for my turnip creation, I'm thinking turnip stew?

No comments:

Post a Comment