Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

Earlier this week a friend of mine asked me if I would make some cinnamon rolls for a church lunch she was providing. I love the opportunity to make a good baked good so I agreed to the task of making two dozen rolls for today. I may have temporarily forgotten about this task but I certainly completed it by taking the rolls out of the oven this morning around 7:30, icing them at 8:00, and delivering them to the church around 8:15 am. Mission accomplished. I just devoured the one roll I kept for myself and it was mighty tasty.


I altered a recipe that I found in a family cookbook from one of my neighbors.

Combine together in a large mixing bowl:
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 2 cups thin mashed potatoes (I used about 1 cup of dried potato flakes in with hot water to make 2 cups soup-like consistency)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 1 cup Whole Wheat flour
  • 7 cups AP flour

Mix and/or knead the dough until a smooth dough is created. This took approximately 5 minutes? for me in a  mixer. I honestly don't really time things because I use a method called checking the gluten window to determine whether my dough is kneaded enough. Add additional liquid and/or flour if necessary. Last night I added about 1/4 cup additional water because it needed more moisture. This will vary based on the season. The whole wheat flour also absorbs more liquid so this would be an additional reason more liquid may be necessary. After mixing I hand-kneaded on the counter for about 30 seconds before allowing to rise in a covered container for approximately 1-2 hours until doubled in bulk. 

After rising, divide the dough into two. Gently shape into a round and then roll out into rectangle. Slap some butter on the dough, a nice combo of cinnamon, brown sugar, and white sugar as well. Then roll up starting with the long side. Use some fabulous mint flavored, or not mint, floss to cut precise beautiful rolls. Put into a greased pan and allow to rise again. I allowed mine to rise overnight in the fridge and baked them in the morning. If you're doing this don't forget to take them out of the fridge approximately 1 hour before baking so they can come to room temp and/or complete their final rise.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes. 

Ice with your favorite frosting or icing. Enjoy sparingly!


1 comment: