Sunday, November 6, 2011

Color the Potluck

It is certainly my job to bring health and color to any potluck that I attend. All people that know me well know how to find what I bring. Does it look colorful and is it healthful and nutritious? Now I don't claim to always bring healthy things, however, more often than not I do feel the need to bring something healthy. It's not that I don't enjoy a really great unhealthy treat but I just feel like it's my role as a nutrition educator and a health coach student to bring something with life, color, and nutrition to the table. 

Today for our church potluck I chose this wonderful collection of bell peppers. Super simple this is simply a nice combination of red, yellow, green, and chocolate bell peppers mixed together with a red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh parsley. Sprinkled with salt it was a refreshing healthy salad. The peppers were the end of the season fresh peppers from a KC market and a KC friend's garden. Perfect. 


This would be the soup I made last night for our KSU football watch party. It was a nice combination of all things random in my fridge that needed to be used, a mix of chili and taco soup. You'll find plenty of onion and bell peppers in this one along with corn, tomatoes, V8 juice, a few okra, carrots, can of chili beans, and a healthy serving of bulgar. My friend Amos remarked, "This is good, but it would be better with meat." Silly meat eaters just can't get over having something without meat.  I thought it was tasty after I added a healthy amount of chili powder, taco seasoning, paprika, cumin, and red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment