Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kefir

I had my first experience making my own kefir this week. It went splendidly and I am quite proud of my ability to do more with less! Kefir is an amazing fermented milk product that contains great beneficial bacteria and pro-biotics. Since it is fermented much of the lactose in milk is digested, making it more easily digestible for lactose intolerant people. I enjoy it simply because it is kinda like a super-food and is so good for my digestive system. Remember healthy bacteria in our digestive tract is important, we want it there!

Kefir production requires the use of kefir grains, which are not really grains at all but tiny cauliflower looking like culture. These are submerged in the milk and allowed to sit at room temperature for about 24 hours or until sufficiently fermented to your liking. The grains are then strained out and you have great kefir ready for consumption. I have been enjoying my raw whole milk for my kefir and feel so great drinking this amazingly healthful substance in my smoothies!

My kefir grains!

Fermenting overnight in my cupboard.
Although I could easily buy kefir from the grocery store or even from my new favorite farm store I am still saving much money by making my own. The average price of a quart of kefir in store: $3.50- $4.00
The price I pay for amazing raw whole milk: $4.00/ half gallon. Price for kefir grains: free from a friend! Price of my raw whole milk kefir $2.00/quart. Savings! Plus I get the added bonus of knowing it is super fresh!

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have just this week made my own kefir and love it! Hubby and I drink a smoothie most mornings with our breakfast. Thank you for your pictures and descriptive words, "tiny cauliflower looking like culture." Upon receiving my 'grains' (by mail-order) I wondered where they were! Now I understand! Keep blogging. I like what I see here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love my kefir smoothies and feel the greatness of quality when I have them. Good for you, trying new things as well. It's always an experiment and so rewarding when it turns out well. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. And it is raw, and I assume, made with pasture-raised milk! Hooray! I am glad you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely raw, all grass-fed happy cows! These farmers only milk during the grazing season and freeze their milk so it's available year round. So great!

      Delete