Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Smoothie Love


I love smoothies and I love my new tablecloth. I managed to confiscate such tablecloth from the deepest hiding place in a long lost cabinet shelf at the farm. I'm pretty sure that my grandmother made this tablecloth from sherry-like towel material. It's fabulous and it needed to see the light of day so it's on my table now. Thanks Grandma!

The past couple of weeks have been smoothie heaven for me. These two weeks in my kids classes we have been making two different smoothies. I normally would prepare the same food sampling in all of the classes of a particular curriculum but I decided that 11 classrooms with the same food prep would get boring for me so I decided to try two different smoothie recipes. So the smoothies I've been enjoying with the 2nd graders include:

Power-Up Smoothie 
1 banana
1 1/4 cup Orange Juice
1 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup silken tofu

Soy-Good Chocolate Banana Smoothie
1 banana- sliced and frozen
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup soymilk
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 Tablespoon honey

These have gone over really well with the kids, although initially they freak out about eating tofu. I'll be honest, tofu is not that appetizing to look at plain, but blend it up in a smoothie and you have a great source of added protein that you don't taste at all! 

Now for the smoothies I've been making for myself for breakfast and/or lunch include a random mixture of the following:
  • Whole raw milk Yogurt and/or Kefir
  • Hemp protein powder
  • Flax seed
  • Frozen berries
  • Splash of OJ
  • Kale!

Smoothies are so great because as you can see you can put whatever you want into them. Just be sure to keep the added sugar (including juice) to a minimum.


3 comments:

  1. That is one awesome retro table cloth.

    I have also been loving the smoothies this week. Mine usually include spinach, grapefruit, frozen berries, banana and yogurt. I need to invest in some kale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah girl! Spinach is my usual for the green smoothies but I decided to go for the kale this week. It makes a mean green smoothie.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for giving me another way to get kale into my eating habits!

    ReplyDelete