Friday, February 10, 2012

Toothpaste

I have recently been enjoying using pinterest to mark specific recipes and projects that I want to complete. I often look at the lists we all create and wonder how many of us spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at things to do and then never actually do them. I think that in general we are really good at dreaming but not so great at the execution. Anyway.....today I actually completed one of recipes to try! I'm proud. It's true.

Homemade toothpaste, inspired by this blog post

This is how my homemade toothpaste went down:
 Combine 5 parts Calcium powder,
2 parts baking soda
1 part castile soap (I used peppermint)
5 parts coconut oil (I had to melt it before adding)
I was a little apprehensive about this toothpaste because I didn't have the xylitol which is a sweetener. However, right after mixing it up I went and brushed with it and it was quite tolerable. Definitely not the super sudsy minty fresh feeling that we are all used to with typical toothpaste, but I feel so much better knowing exactly what I putting in my mouth!

Update: I bought the wrong kind of coconut oil. You must buy the unrefined coconut oil and it must not be completely solid at room temperature otherwise you will end up with a block of toothpaste. I'm not sure whether it's the refining process or what but my coconut oil was solid so I melted it, but when left my toothpaste became a toothpaste block, not so great. We're going to have to try this again. :(

1 comment:

  1. We appreciate your honesty about this. Let us know when it turns out right. :o)

    ReplyDelete