Thursday, July 8, 2010

Food Conversion

My father has always been what we call the garbage disposal in our family. Growing up he was the one we gave our leftovers to and he ate them happily. However, as I have grown older and started eating more delicious and varied foods, I have learned that my father does not eat everything. He has claimed to not eat: squash, beets, sweet potatoes, and eggplant on many occasions. However, as we all know living with my father this summer I've made it my personal goal to eat everything that comes out of the garden. This has included a plethora of these precise vegetables.

The other night my mother said in response the Indian food I had prepared, "Oh, your father wouldn't eat this."
To which I responded, "Mother, they will eat what you put in front of them." It's actually true. Children, adults, whomever are only picky because they are only fed the same picky foods. Come on cooks, if they're hungry enough or lazy they will eat what you give them.

Let's look at choice dinner of this evening:
That would be a sandwich comprised of: grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, swiss cheese, basil on multigrain bread. The very first ripe tomato of our garden season. mmmm good. Grilled corn on the cob and summer squash. As my father was dining on his sandwich this was his remark, "If you had told me 6 months ago that I would be eating a eggplant and pepper sandwich right now, I would have thought you were kidding me. And I'm actually really enjoying it!"

Like I said, put it in front of them and they will eat it. Sometimes they will even enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment