Thursday, March 15, 2012

Southern Comfort Food

Let me introduce you my friends to Frogmore Stew. This is a very traditional southern meal that I recently learned about. I first saw it in the Florida seasonal cookbook, then learned about it while watching the travel channel the other evening. I got pretty excited about trying to visit the best places for Frogmore stew in Charleston, SC as were described in the show. However, we dined on some the other night in a local school shop. Around here it is called the low country boil. This delight is found by boiling together in a giant pot the basics: potatoes, corn on the cob, onions, shrimp, and sausage. After boiling, this concoction is thrown out on a table and gobbled up by all with either red shrimp sauce or tartar sauce. Pretty darn tasty!


We have been so blessed by the opportunity to share meals with really great folks that host us for the evenings. Last night we were taken to a local BBQ place called the Smokin' Pig. It was amazing and included a ridiculous amount of food. This is where I am super thankful for the opportunity to spend so much time walking during the day so these giant meals don't seem so overwhelming.

My meal was outstanding and included some awesome beef brisket, pulled pork, fried okra, and baked beans. Awesome with enough meat leftover for an another meal today.



- Grace and peace to you

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, this looks so good- We do a Shrimp Boil every year for my parent's Birthday party. Makes me want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that fried okra. :)) csl

    ReplyDelete