Friday, March 9, 2012

Southern Greens!

I've eaten greens the past two meals. After reading a fabulous older Florida seasonal cooking book I have been inspired to get to eating some good southern greens. I've also learned that not every southern person likes greens. Gasp! But last night I purchased a giant bag of collard greens already sliced into nice 1/2 inch strips. Quite convenient.

Just a quick list of some of this brassica vegetable benefits:

  • Anticancer properties
  • Detoxification support
  • Antioxidant support: Vitamin C & E, beta-carotine, manganese
  • Anti-inflamatory support: Vitamin K & omega 3 fatty acids
  • Cardiovascular support: cholesterol lowering ability due to their nature to bind bile
  • Digestive support: hello fiber!
  • Nondairy source of calcium

Greens can be cooked a number of methods. The nutrients are more easily absorbed when they are steamed yet not over cooked. My method has been to saute a bit of onion and garlic in some butter and then add the greens. Cover and let steam until just softened a bit. Then I added a bit of leftover sausage or bacon to give them some great flavor. Also adding some cayenne or paprika would be excellent if you wanted to go without the meat addition. But eat them up folks! Power your body with greens!

Maybe I'll get some of this before I leave Florida?!



No comments:

Post a Comment